C’s Mom gave me LOVEFOOD’s “Gluten, Wheat, and Dairy Free” cookbook (in addition to a very cute polka dotted apron) the last time she paid us a visit from NYC. Artfully crafted, I poured over the pages, mesmerized by the photography as well as the creative dishes. “Chickpea Fritters” immediately caught my eye. Chickpeas, scallions, and cilantro cooked in a pancake-like fashion? Yes, please.
The combination of flavors is a delightful surprise. I love the smell and taste of cilantro, especially when pit against the textures of the chickpeas and scallions. When I thought about what I could do differently, two thoughts immediately sprang to mind. Arugula! Gluten-Free Bisquick! I am not a big fan of Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour, which this recipe calls for. The batter was thin and lacked oomph. The second time around, I substituted with my favorite GF product, Gluten-Free Bisquick.
The batter was much thicker and the fritters themselves much heartier. I also sauteed two cups of fresh arugula and threw it into the batter before spooning it into big, fabulous puddles on a griddle. While the arugula, to my disappointment, did not have an impact on the overall taste and texture, I got one more vegetable into this fritter. I’m all about hitting my Daily Values (DV)!
Gluten-Free Chickpea Fritters
*Adapted from LOVEFOOD
1 cup Gluten-Free Bisquick
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup soy milk
1 10.5oz can of chickpeas, drained
1 bunch of scallions, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 cups arugula, sauteed
Non-Fat Greek Yogurt and apple sauce(for garnish)
1. Sautee the arugula in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Mix the Bisquick, baking powder, beaten egg, and soy milk in a large bowl until smooth.
3. Add the chickpeas, scallions, and cilantro.
4. Spray a griddle with cooking spray, and add several spoonfuls of the batter. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
5. Serve warm with a dollop of non-fat Greek Yogurt and apple sauce.