Now, don’t get me wrong, I love me some Momma’s old-fashioned potato salad. But I live in D.C. Dining on a creamy potato salad in the swamp-like heat and humidity of the nation’s capitol is, well, less than appetizing. (Although I would nom The Smitten Kitchen’s Tzatziki Potato Salad no matter the heat, but that’s the exception). I’ll make an up front disclaimer, this broccoli salad contains mayonnaise, but you’d never know it. Testimony: C eats this like there is no tomorrow, and he hate mayonnaise.
This salad is cool and light, perfect for an outdoor picnic (in the heat). When it’s hot, who craves a fuss? The raw broccoli florets and roasted Pepitas provide a crunch, and the diced red onion adds a subtle kick. The golden raisins, although initially added purely for fun, give this salad a touch of sweetness. The sauce has three ingredients: Canola based mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and sugar. It coats the broccoli so lightly, you’ll say, “I can hardly believe it’s mayonnaise!”
Who needs cheese to enjoy broccoli? (and who on earth started that disgusting trend?)
Picnic Perfect Broccoli Salad
5 broccoli crowns
1 red onion, chopped
1 cup Golden Raisins
1/2 cup Pepitas
1 cup of mayonnaise (I prefer Hellman’s Canola version with less than half the fat)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1. Slice broccoli crowns into florets and add to a large mixing bowl.
2. Chop red onion and add to bowl.
3. Add Pepitas and Golden Raisins to the bowl, and toss together.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and sugar. Pour over salad, season with salt and pepper, and toss together until coated.
5. Refrigerate for an hour, then serve.